WELCOME TO DIVAVILLE - DIVA IS A STATE OF MIND
"We should always reach for the stars...they look so good in our eyes" - PopArtDiva

Saturday, April 5, 2008

I MAY BE A FLIP-FLOP SNOB - BUT I'M A THONG DIVA!

I have to admit I'm not one for fashion fads anymore - I've stated this before in a post where I wanted to go naked, but I have gotten into the new flip-flop trend with a vengeance.

When I was a kid, we called flip-flops thongs, but I am making a concerted effort to retrain myself to call them flip-flops. Tragic misunderstandings have ensued from my bad habit of calling flip-flops thongs, but I won't go there.

This new batch of flip-flops is far superior to those white trash versions I had as a kid. The original flip-flop was simply a rubber sole with a strap plugged through the soul and around your toes. Much like the ones pictured above in my Pop Art "Flip Flops Aren't Thongs?", except we didn't even get pretty flowers on the tops of the soles like the ones pictured here. (I got these cute thongs as a gift for a trip!)

Now you can get flip-flops with some great DIVA frills. I have some that have been treated to a knitting project using really fun fuzzy yarns and even torn fabrics that flutter around my toes. My favorite pair at the moment are a pair of metallic, hot pink flip-flops with a sexy little 1-1/2 inch spike heel. I also favor a pair of turquoise flip-flops that are silk with a similar kicky little heel. And I have a pair of black silk ones that go great with a black caftan I bought for my martini hour outside in this great Spring weather.

I will admit I am a bit of a flip-flop snob. When I'm doing an art show I watch to see how many of the white trash versions of flip flops are flapping on the ground - too many and I know I'm dealing with a Walmart poster crowd and I stick my nose back in my book. Cheap flip flop wearers are not big on buying original art! But if those flip flops are sporting some bling I'm in the money!

Whatever the economic version of flip-flops, one thing can be said for all - they are a great way to show off your new pedicure and they're the fastest shoe to kick off at the end of a long day! Now, that's DIVA!

Flip Flops Aren't Thongs? is available as archival prints and giclees on canvas in various sizes at PopArtDiva.com. Copyright 2008 by PopArtDiva.com. All rights reserved. No permission is given to copy, distribute or reproduce without written permission from PopArtDiva.com.

2 comments:

  1. Actually in Australia they are called thongs and what you call thongs in the US we call something else, so it can be confusing.

    I really can't get into wearing thongs, or flip flops - just can't get used to that bit between my toes. But there are so many eye catching ones these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now I have to know what you call thongs in Australia!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Got a comment or a thought on this post? Get your DIVA ON here!